Everyone knows Spring is the best time to put your house on the market. The problem is that everybody else is also waiting until the Spring to put there house on the market. So it is important that your house stands out from the rest of the competition in the neighborhood. So what are some tricks that can help you sell your house faster in the highly sought after Spring market? Below are 5 things you can do to ensure a higher sales price and a quick offer.
1. Get rid of the clutter. Make sure you keep the furniture and decor in the house to a minimum. The less items in the house to bigger the space will look.
2. Clean up the landscaping. This can be done at a cheap price. Make sure the grass is cut, bushes are trimmed and fresh mulch applied. This is the first thing potential buyers will see when they first pull up. This will be the best money you will spend.
3. Deep clean. This should go without saying but you’d be surprised how many listings are filthy out there. Go room by room and clean every inch of it. Make sure you check the following off the list:
– Shampoo carpet
– Clean out pantry
– Wash windows
– Dust off light fixtures
– Change furnace filters (catches more dust in house)
– Scrub toilets
– Wipe down vanity’s & bathroom mirrors
– Wipe down kitchen cabinets
4. Insert plug-ins. You want your house to have a pleasant smell when they first walk in. You want to give attention to all 5 senses when a potential buyer walks through the house. A fresh smell will give the home some warmth. Make sure to buy a scent that matches the season you are in. You don’t want to have a summer smell in the house in the middle of winter. Don’t go crazy on the disbursement of the scents throughout the home. One if the living room, kitchen, master bedroom and basement should be just fine.
5. Hire a professional realtor. Emphasis here is on professional. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen homeowners hire there friends to list there house because they give them a reduced commission. Saving a few thousand dollars in commission doesn’t make much sense when you get $10,000 less for your house because your “friend” doesn’t know what he/she is doing. More times than not most of the friend realtors are part time and not fully engaged in real estate full time. Do you research and find a professional that is a full time realtor with a proven track record of getting 95% or higher on there listings. More importantly find a realtor who specializes in your neighborhood. Who knows they may recommend a higher list price than you originally thought.